Friday, 19 June 2015

Self Portrait of the artist formerly known as Dave Vigor


Some months ago I wrote a post entitled Friendship 2. It was largely about this man but also about another, an ex-pat who no longer talks to me. Here is the link to Friendship 2
 http://fishywords.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/friendship-2.html...

I also wrote about David here....http://fishywords.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/rusting-metal-peeling-paint-decay-of.html

We may no longer speak, David and I, but isn't this a superb self portrait?




Back in the day he was known as Stickleback 2. He used that sobriquet whilst on discharge, our old team blog. It was he that largely took what had been mine and Doriandra's token quotes to new levels. He was among the first to mutate that site from almost pure text to image.

His ability to create these splendid portraits is not the only string to his bow. He also takes some quite incredible photographs too. What I'd like to see more of, and what I believe is his greatest, as yet unseen talent (unseen as he hasn't produced any), is his 'urban decay' landscapes. Were he to take those photos for reference and then paint them I believe we would witness something quite remarkable. Unfortunately, I am unable to copy any photos so cannot show exactly what I mean but his eye for detail, his skills in capturing that detail is frankly breathtaking. 

Since our falling out I haven't spoken with Dave, sorry, David in something like four years. I have to say his talent strikes me as remarkable. The above portrait captures him to perfection. He spares himself no blushes. He doesn't 'airbrush' out the wrinkles but etches them as they are. Of all the people whose work I have promoted here this man, this curmudgeonly old fart, this lover of Sparklehorse, Sea Sick Steve and all things rough and ready, is right up among the best of them. If a gallery doesn't soon promote his work then there is no justice in the world.


Not only can he be found on Facebook but also on Flickr here..... 


..............https://www.flickr.com/photos/stickleback2

.
.
.
Russell Cuts the Corn From The Brewers Whiskers.

No comments: