Thursday, 25 April 2013

The Thief of Rage - Blind Faith and the End of Creationist Teaching in Schools

I used to doubt that common sense and decency would prevail. I thought and still do in part, that faith, that blind fool that beggars society, would forever cling leech-like to our hearts and souls. Perhaps it will. I hope not. I pray to no one for there is no one to prey to. My morals are older than deities being formed from my natural humanity. If I did pray then it would be to end the fiction of faith that has led to so much heartache.


“My response is that when Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things. But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, [a worm] that's going to make him blind. And [I ask them], 'Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy.” – Sir David Attenborough.

"People write to me that evolution is only a theory. Well, it is not a theory. Evolution is as solid a historical fact as you could conceive. Evidence from every quarter. What is a theory is whether natural selection is the mechanism and the only mechanism? That is a theory. But the historical reality that dinosaurs led to birds and mammals produced whales, that's not theory." - Sir David Attenborough.

Attenborough has joined evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins and other top scientists in signing a campaign statement coordinated by the British Humanist Association (BHA). The statement calls for "creationism to be banned from the school science curriculum and for evolution to be taught more widely in schools." That is something all sane, moral individuals should welcome - schools free of doctrine, schools free of dogma and pointless ritual, schools doing what schools are meant to do: teach the facts as they are allowing the pupils themselves to select what philosophical path they shall walk.



.
.
.
all words and art are copyright © of Russell 'C.J' Duffy.To view my books on Amazon/Kindle go here: https://www.amazon.com/author/russellduffy -- For another side of CJ go here: sOMeThiNg For tHE wEeKeND, SiR?

2 comments:

thecheesewhines said...

Creationism or any other religious belief has no place being taught in public schools. If one wishes one's children to learn such things, then they need to send their children to a school in line with their belief system. There are plenty of private, religious schools.
I'm not an atheist myself. I have my own set of spiritual beliefs. I have no problem with religious beliefs, unless someone tries to shove theirs down my throat. But I am a firm believer in the separation of church and state. Laws separating religion from public works exist for the protection of all.

Russell Duffy said...

thecheesewhines>>>I think having your own set of beliefs is fine.

I didn't raise my children in any one way. We taught them a moral code which they have stuck by. Neither did I try and persuade one of my daughters from believing in God. I haven't the right. Good luck to her.
Like you I think Church and state should be kept separate.