Monday, 22 April 2013

All The Lonely People



As a member of Shelfari I get to play at being the intellectual, I mean, that is what the whole deal is isn't it, the chance for those who feel their voices remain unheard, much like blogging, to speak on a subject they are supposedly passionate about?  It offers them a platform by which they are able to play at being vital. Wannabe authors like myself can make believe someone cares what they think when in point of fact few do. Maybe the odd wife or offspring but most likely only the person who writes the bloody critiques in the first place - namely themselves. A part of me wonders if those who feel that their voice, along with the views they hold, are simply ignored and therefore grab at the chance to stake some kudos for being capable of stringing a sentence together.
Is this why I do it? Why I blog? Why I am a member of Shelfari?
Of course I am being cynical Not everyone acts like a big shot critic. For one thing they haven’t earned the right for they, just like me haven’t gained any sort of accepted reputation and for another it is all simply opinion.

This act of speaking out on the world wide web having never been listened to during normal, day-to-day communication strikes me as sad. Am I so needing of attention that I turn to the internet instead of friends, family or neighbours? And how many really listen to me on that medium? Precious few I would guess.
I guess Facebook is slightly different. It is about engaging with others often across continents but blogging and Shelfari are subtly different aren't they? They are more to do with 'I Me Mine' then actually making friends.
This thought then took me down an unexpected avenue. If I, and millions like me, are desperately trying to be heard in a world where everyone is clamouring for attention, are those despicable lunatics who take it upon themselves to wage a faceless war on the innocent doing the same thing? 
Fervent fundamentalists to one side, there exist in society those who, much like Anders Behring Breivik, commit the most appalling acts in the name of some bogus cause all for their Warholian fifteen minutes.  Both Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold could be numbered amongst these as could Michaels Robert Ryan's slaughter spree. There can be no excuse for such psychotic behaviour and justice should be seen to be done but does the need for 'a voice,' one that has to be heard, link these killings to the self same need?
Perhaps I am guilty here of giving their crimes and therefore their names a degree of immortality I hope not and truth be told I had to look their names up on my search engine..
I am probably talking out of my middle-aged bottom and forgive me if I am but I wonder sometimes, without wishing to blame anyone in particular, or anyone particular system, if the way the world has developed has somehow left the human race, at least a portion of it, feeling disenfranchised? 

Hello?


Among the many books I read are those now called 'graphic novels.' For years these were thought of in the west, America and Great Britain if not France or Belgium, as being juvenile. Worse, they were relegated to second place by the literati. In the last 30 years this opinion has changed beyond recognition. What was lowbrow is now high and the two books shown here exemplifies why that is. The first is 'Maus' by Art Spiegelman and the second is comic book legend Will Eisners semi-auto-biographical masterpiece, 'Contract With God.' 
I find these items to be as much works of art as anything by Hilary Mantel or Cormac McCarthy. They are not books and shouldn't be judged as such. Nor are they art even though the images contained might be arty. Nor are they, as some have suggested, storyboards or cinematic. Graphic Novels are a very different genre indeed. Try them, they ain't half good, in fact they are right bobby dazzlers 
. .
.
.
all words and art are copyright © of Russell 'C.J' Duffy.To view my books on Amazon/Kindle go here: https://www.amazon.com/author/russellduffy -- For another side of CJ go here: sOMeThiNg For tHE wEeKeND, SiR?

2 comments:

Naila Rainmaker said...

Maus is one of my favorite creations of all time. Art Spiegelman did an incredible job of putting his father's story into a unique medium.

Russell Duffy said...

Naila Rainmaker>>>With you one hundred percent. It is a great book.