Saturday, 2 March 2013

:
:
:
“Treat writing as a job. Be disciplined. Lots of writers get a bit OCD-ish about this. Graham Greene famously wrote 500 words a day. Jean Plaidy managed 5,000 before lunch, then spent the afternoon answering fan mail. My minimum is 1,000 words a day – which is sometimes easy to achieve, and is sometimes, frankly, like shitting a brick, but I will make myself stay at my desk until I've got there, because I know that by doing that I am inching the book forward. Those 1,000 words might well be rubbish–they often are. But then, it is always easier to return to rubbish words at a later date and make them better.” 
 
:
Sarah Waters
:
:
:
.
.
.
all words and art are copyright © of Russell 'C.J' Duffy.To view my books on Amazon/Kindle go here: https://www.amazon.com/author/russellduffy -- For another side of CJ go here: sOMeThiNg For tHE wEeKeND, SiR?

4 comments:

Tempest Nightingale LeTrope said...

I was doing 1000 words a day of "serious" stuff plus fairly often however many words of the stuff that I do just for fun. It would be easy if I didn't also have to work a job and do all the other shit that life requires. Right now I'm surprised that I'm able to write at all.

Russell Duffy said...

I was re-reading some of that serious stuff only recently. Sadly the book is now lounging on a shelf in my 'library' (garage) back at my family home.
You still seem to right reams!!

Vanessa V Kilmer said...

I write 500 words each morning as the first thing I do. My only rule is that it must be 500 words.

Now, That I am not working for "The Man" I will be finishing books. This will be my job, career and vocation all Of which means I must write lots more than 500 words a day.

Russell Norman Murray said...

Yes, professional writing, as in thesis, book writing and related needs to be understood as a job, or else work might not get done...

Hope all is well for you and family, Russell.