Monday, 21 January 2013

Blinding Blizzards Bring Britain to Standstill...or does it?


Oh how easy we all fall into the same traps. Take us Brits and snow. The world now believes that after half an inch of the white stuff falling on our roads, railways and aeroplanes, everything  grinds to a halt: that all schools are instantly closed at the first suggestion of snowfall; that all pavements are impassable and our cars remain immobile on the drive. This is simply not the case.
My Canadian cousins love winter. They gallivant around in the snow, one in his early forties, the other not far behind, like jubilant school children tossing snowballs and tobogganing. So do we. The only difference is they get four foot of snow and we get, well, if we are lucky, six inches. 

The common question often asked is…’why don’t you guys prepare in advance?’ Why would we? Why should we? Okay, there is some disruption but so much of what happens is exaggerated. Besides, what right minded business would fork out loads of cash for something that happens infrequently? The consequence of not preparing is insufficient reason for spending large amounts of money on something that only lasts for days, a fortnight at the most.
I walked the pavements. I went arse over apex. I got up again. I caught the bus and the major roads were fine. I know some parts of England, Scotland and Wales had far worse conditions but even they only have the briefest of blizzard type conditions

Personally, I would rather see the government spend more on areas that repeatedly suffer flooding than I would on a downfall of snow.
I asked my son, Jimbob Badfinger, to take this photo of me. Unfortunately, he had to go back in doors to fetch his camera and, well, you can see for yourself what happened...
:
:
:
:

.
.
.
all words and art are copyright © of Russell 'C.J' Duffy.To view my books on Amazon/Kindle go here: https://www.amazon.com/author/russellduffy -- For another side of CJ go here: sOMeThiNg For tHE wEeKeND, SiR?

2 comments:

Nessa said...

Looks like you need some tomato soup and a grilled cheese. (That's snow storm eats in my house.)

I like it when we get a foot and a half of snow. Unfortunately, that only happens once every four or five years.

Russell Duffy said...

Yeah, me too if the truth be told. I love doing the angel thing in the snow. You know, lying on your back and spreading both arms and legs out and then back again. Where I am it is only about six inches though.