Thursday, 26 July 2012


I visited Mum, as has been my custom these past three months, today as I did Tuesday. We sat and chatted before I did some work for her; a bit of ironing then some gardening. We spoke of her bout of ill health earlier in the year. She told me again of the dream she ha when laying in hospital. In the dream she was being pushed down a corridor toward a vivid, bright light, a light so bright it hurt her eyes. As she got closer to the light so a sense of passing came over her but then whoever as pushing her turned her around and away from the light. The analogy is obvious: Mum was dying and in her mind was being taken toward heaven. She asked me if I believed in angels. I always feel a little uncomfortable when asked such questions. I am not superstitious being a devout atheist. I told her, as kindly as I could, that I only believe in what I can see, touch or what science has proven exists. I could tell she was disappointed and so I fudged things a bit by saying that I could be wrong. Perhaps I am, who knows?

I tried to explain that I couldn’t see the point of there being a God. What was his purpose? Having created everything before breathing life into us his job was surely done. I tried to explain the Confucius and  Buddha both lived prior to the man she lovingly refers to as Jesus and both were good men with a decent moral code.  Why would we need the vindictive, vile and rather lacklustre deity who told Abraham to barbecue his own son, Caine to give his daughter to the men of the village rather them have them fornicate with male angels; to kill all the inhabitants of Jericho and Sodom and Gomorrah, men, women, children alike be they good or not just to punish the bad guys. What kind of god does that? He obviously has very little power as he has to kill off everyone rather than select those who deserve punishment. I didn’t actually say those things specifically as I did not want to hurt her feelings. Funny things is I think Mum, much like many modern day Christians, has little interest in the man-made rituals of the old faith. I think she, and they, are more like Buddhists in their faith. They do good deeds for others in the belief they are being Christ-like. Maybe I should stay silent and let them simply get on with doing what it is they do.

.
.
.
all words and art are copyright © of Russell 'C.J' Duffy.To view my books on Amazon/Kindle go here: https://www.amazon.com/author/russellduffy -- For another side of CJ go here: sOMeThiNg For tHE wEeKeND, SiR?

No comments: