Wednesday, 25 July 2012


As I stood waiting for the kettle to boil, having just eaten breakfast, Cookie swept past me looking like a feral hunter with ears slinked back. The kitchen door lay open to allow some cool air in. The day was already warm promising a welcome continuation of summer. He ran straight past me as though I wasn’t there. Dogs are odd though. Cookie looks very canine and has that passing resemblance to the father of dogs, the Wolf. He is far removed of course from the original canine as are most dogs. Seeing him act now as nature, coupled with centuries of inbred training, nurture perhaps, intended is simply wonderful. His instinct as a Border collie is to herd, to fetch and to run. He has what appears to be a limitless amount of energy. He is able to run twenty miles then run another straight after.  When he sees other animals he wants to ‘round them up.’  I wonder how long it took to instil, what now seems natural, these traits into him? Mankind does perform bizarre acts. Why on earth did we ever breed dogs so as to change their appearances to suit some arbitrary aesthetic? It strikes me as almost cruel especially when you see what has been done to the British Bulldog. The poor beast finds it hard to breathe and almost impossible to walk.

Prior to the insulation men’s arrival I started to cut the tree limbs into smaller sections so as to better prepare a fire. Gardening is fine but, as I have often said, an endless task. I wish now that I lived in London in an apartment that had no garden or, perhaps laziness on my part, that I had, much like my mother, a gardener.

The insulation men arrived. Cookie went mad as he always does so I shut him in the living room. The took out all the kit they needed, began drilling holes in the outer walls before discovering that my house has already been insulated during its construction. They asked if the salesman had drilled a hole to ascertain if we needed insulation or not. He hadn’t and I told them so. Apparently, this is typical. They apologised to me and I them. I felt sorry for them knowing that they only get paid for the work they complete. The sales chap should be shot.

.
.
.
all words and art are copyright © of Russell 'C.J' Duffy.To view my books on Amazon/Kindle go here: https://www.amazon.com/author/russellduffy -- For another side of CJ go here: sOMeThiNg For tHE wEeKeND, SiR?

No comments: