Monday, 18 June 2012

18/06/2012


Took a walk into town today. I left the Ashingdon Road to one side and walked parallel to it down a series of back turnings. The town remains much as it has for the past one hundred years, the only exception being the dreadful sixties buildings that were constructed during that eras grim determination to shoehorn in the new.  The walk was enjoyable as it got me out of the house. Jasmine was off work today so rather than do as I normally would, clean the house and hang washing out, I took Mum’s cheque into Nat West. Thank goodness for my dear old mother.

I have finished reading the Wally Lamb book. It was a fantastic story reminding me in a strange way of Kiran Desai and Frank McCourt. All three novelist have that ability to imbue their work with a strong ethnic flavour. With Desai it is India, with McCourt, Ireland and with Wally Lamb it is America. His ability to thread together the fiction of his invention with historical fact is quite amazing. The novel takes us through time and over the events of the main characters life and history. It is a book that reveals how we all are subject to cause and effect; how one event can have drastic actions on another. It is also a novel that wears its anti-war feelings clearly embroidered on its jacket. I am very grateful to Paul for telling me of this author. I shall read more of him once I get through all the other books I have yet to read.

Just as I was mulling over which book I should next select up pops Father’s Day. Tweezil gave me a copy of Anthony Horowitz novel ‘The Silk House.’ It is the official follow-up to, for want of a better term, or perhaps I should say return of, the adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I have only read thirty pages but already am enjoying the way the author has managed to capture Conan Doyle’s style. I love Sherlock Holmes so the book brings much pleasure but it would have been lessened had Horowitz not done such an immaculate job.

I am currently listening to Natalie Clein’s beautiful rendition of Elgar’s Cello Concerto; The Mothers of Inventions ‘Overnite Sensation’ and ‘Tigermilk’ by Belle and Sebastian. All good stuff.

With five books now on sale I have turned my efforts to not only completing book four of the Fekenham Tales and the spin-off, ‘Hand In Glove,’ but I am also re-writing ‘The Wilful Walks – Essex.’ My intention is to self-publish these on Kindle.
Below is a photo of Jimbob looking rather grim. How come he can grow whiskers whilst I cannot? 


. . . all words and art are copyright © of Russell 'C.J' Duffy.To view my books on Amazon/Kindle go here: https://www.amazon.com/author/russellduffy -- For another side of CJ go here: sOMeThiNg For tHE wEeKeND, SiR?

7 comments:

Perfect Virgo said...

Really draws you in doesn't he, Wally Lamb.

Russell 'C.J.' Duffy said...

He sure does and once in there with him you really don't want to leave. He is an exceptional talent. Having finished the book I was in several minds who to read next:Pat Barker? Sebastian Faulks or that African author whose book I have still to read or maybe Somerset Muagham. In the end, and for want of soemthing less emotionally or intellectually draining I opted for Anthony Horowitz. Not because he is any less worthy but just because he is so very different. Lamb's work is not so much permeated by but rather soaked in bourbon...it is THAT American.

Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Oooh not heard about that Horrowich one

Russell 'C.J.' Duffy said...

Sue>>>Hiya! I highly recommend Anthony Horowitz 'House of Silk.' He really does a great job with the Holmes myth.

Sue hardy-Dawson said...

I will look it out x

Sue hardy-Dawson said...

PS I am not a robot honest

Russell 'C.J.' Duffy said...

Sue>>>Not a robot? I never thought you were!