Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Personally I have nothing against the likes of the X-Factor nor do I hate, as I am told guys like me should, Simon Cowell. It’s a big world with plenty of room for everyone besides, we all got to eat and if some people want purely to entertain rather than be creative then good luck to them.


However, having said that, there does seem to be an awful strangle hold on the music scene that is crippling new music coming through, it is actively preventing raw talent from reaching a wider audience due to the dictates and narrow tastes of the few. I wonder if Kate Bush or June Tabor appeared at the doors of a music executiver how they would fare? Not so good I reckon. Here is Frank Zappa’s take on the music industry bearing in mind the old hot rat has been dead for nigh on twenty years.



Some of the content of this film is rather worrying even if it was recorded many years ago. It also touches upon why I have gone the Kindle route as today’s publishers are pretty much the same as the recording industry equivalents.
.
.
.
all words and art are copyright © of Russell 'C.J' Duffy. For another side of CJ go here: sOMeThiNg For tHE wEeKeND, SiR?

5 comments:

Perfect Virgo said...

When I saw Queen in 1973 they had two albums out and were still a supporting act (second on the bill to Mott the Hoople). These days bands tour on the strength of a hit single with the promise of an album.

Russell 'C.J.' Duffy said...

I think that half the problem is not lack of talent but lack of imagination on the part of the record exec's. They want the success Queen had but when the talent arrives on their doorstep they try to 'package it'
Queen in '73 would have been an awesome sight and sound. Live they were remarkable. Funny thing is I much prefer their singles to their albums. Freddie was the grand dame of frontmen. He along with Jagger and Daltrey were the dogs doo dahs. Mind you ‘Percy’ Plant would argue with that as he thinks Freddie copied many of his moves!

Russell 'C.J.' Duffy said...

PS. Robert Plant may well have had his tongue firmly in his cheek when the quote was printed. And of course with anything printed it can lose context. Of course it could be argued that the Led Zep frontman copied Roger Daltrey!

Perfect Virgo said...

It was my first gig and at age 16 I was completely overwhelmed. I found Freddie then shocking and slightly scary but his impact never left me. Mott were appropriately raucous of course.

No characters today. Any rough edges are smoothed off by the marketing men in order to engineer fleeting financial success for all involved.

Russell 'C.J.' Duffy said...

I would have loved to have been there with you. I imagine it would have impressed bot the 16 year old you and the 19 year old me too. That era Queen were far more,as you say, dangerous, than the Queen of later years. All good though. As for Mott...WOW!!