Monday, 9 March 2009

The Tales Continue




In the attempt to get published you have to be able to sell yourself. To do this you have to create some form of presentation that you think, hope and pray will knock the socks off of those frustrating Literary Agents and Publishers that have, thus far, ignored every effort you have made.

To this end you must include, along with your manuscript (normally only the first three chapters) a CV (not the one you use for job interviews but a funkier, more you version), a synopsis, some blurb that could be used for marketing purposes any testimonials you may have received (thanks again to all who helped with this), a whizz-bang- buy-me type letter and, of course, a Stamp Addressed envelope.

I thought long and hard about how to present my book. I even spoke to a graphic designer and friend who, out of the goodness of his heart, created these fabulous images which I now use. I think they work well. Tell me what you think.








Of course, if the Literary Agent doesn't think the book has commercial appeal he wont give a fig about smart presentation and will, eventually (takes bloody months) respond with a flat, thanks but no thanks.

At this time I am about a third through book two with some forty thousand words written. Great fun but incredible hard work too. You need such focus, such discipline to make yourself, each and every day (night in my case) sit down and create, from a blank page, something new and witty.

One thing is still for certain though: I will not give up!

.
.
.
all words and art are copyright © of C.J. Duffy.

2 comments:

Hobbes said...

Good luck. I especially like the Feckenham stuff, and hope it sells eventually.

Patry Francis said...

You've got the right attitude!