Friday, 10 October 2008

Faces in the Fog




it's not just the secret of mirrors that confounds me, nor the mystery of smoke. these things are intangible, murky, reflective. it is the thought of heat rising on a summers morn or geese settling onto placid waters with a rush of feathers that startles me; makes me think there is more than just traffic on motorways: more than loud fractious voices scratching my city's air.
I get the impression sometimes, when i look around my workplace, that people, all people, are just faces in a crowd. as distant to me as the stars and as remote as the galaxies beyond.

hard to collate that feeling with the fact that, at the end of the day, we all are the stuff of the cosmos, that we all are one.
"one love. one life."
 
it strikes me that there are, out there, a host of couples who are lonely. groups of people who are lonely. statues in field of statues. frozen souls in a frozen tableau. married couples. couples in relationships. faces in the fog. 
"sometimes you get so lonely, sometimes you get no where."
 
so many lonely people and all it would take is for me to reach out my hand to you and for you to take hold.

you don't get the picture
but life is passing us by
no, you don't get the picture
your life is passing you by
if we don't start living
pretty soon we'll die.


with grateful thanks to U2 and David Bowie for two of the 'quotes' , the third 'quote is my own work.
.
.
.
all words and art are copyright © of C.J. Duffy.

15 comments:

Anki said...

sad and pretty
but we eventually grasp that hand, despite losing the grip several tims before

we won't be lonely long
we will love
till we die
:D

RuKsaK said...

lament. i haven't seen fog for 10 years until the last couple of weeks - the early morning dewy cobwebs on hedges were stunning, but too heavily drenched in metaphor for me to bear.

anonant said...

In the lines around their eyes
and the tightness of their lips
I see signs that perhaps the truth is beginning to sink in and just maybe they will stop this rat race and once again aim for the stars.

peace

weirsdo said...

They're all just waiting for us to take hold so they can drag us down.

C.J.Duffy said...

Anki>>>I hope so.

C.J.Duffy said...

ruk>>>Welcome back to blighty old son!!

Cherrypie said...

I've got a surprisingly tight grip for such little hands

XXX

C.J.Duffy said...

Annonant>>>Good to see you again. Be over soon to repay the visit.

Anonymous said...

How magical .... my first time here ... the odor of poetry fills your page . . . . .

Nasra Al Adawi

C.J.Duffy said...

weirsdo>>>Noooooo!!!!! LOL

C.J.Duffy said...

cherrypie>>>There musr be something smutty that I can use here but not sure what. Small hands, tight grip? Hmmmmm.

JohnB said...

minds are like cages
tallied years scratched on the wall
life's turn of pages

liam said...

letting go always sounds so liberating. seems this is a scatological (existentialist?) philosophy problem here.

C.J.Duffy said...

Nasra>>>You knew me previously as cocaine jesus!

gel said...

Loneliness is as hard to bear as any physical ailment, for it manifests itself in the physical.

The cure for loneliness is action. Sometimes it's difficult to take those step- sigh.